Italian Sausage Sandwich with Sauteed Onions and Peppers
- 6 hot or sweet Italian sausages, about 1 1/2 lb. total
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 long green Italian sweet peppers, seeded and cut into thin rounds
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut lengthwise into strips 1/4 inch wide
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into strips 1/4 inch wide
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 4 sourdough or other sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook them, scraping and turning them often with a spatula, until limp and slightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
Cook the green, red and orange peppers the same way until they are limp and browned on the edges, about 10 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and deglaze the pan, stirring to dislodge any browned bits from the pan bottom, 1 to 2 minutes more.
To make the sandwiches, lightly spread the cut sides of the toasted rolls with the mustard. Divide the onions, the pepper mixture and the sausage halves evenly among them, allowing 3 pieces of sausage for each sandwich. Close the sandwiches.
Cut the sandwiches in half and serve hot.