Herbed Quinoa and Red Rice Stuffing with Kale and Pine Nuts
Looking for a gluten-free stuffing that tastes amazing? Try this version, made with our quinoa and red rice stuffing mix. To further enhance the flavor, we add Tuscan kale and fresh oregano plus pine nuts for a bit of crunch.
- 1 packet quinoa and red rice (included with mix)
- 3 1/4 cups water
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Unsalted butter for baking dish, plus 3 Tbs.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, about 8 oz., stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 packet spices (included with mix)
- 1 packet dried cranberries (included with mix)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup vegetable stock, warmed
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving (optional)
In a saucepan, combine the quinoa and red rice with the water and salt lightly. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until most of the water is absorbed and the grains are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the 3 Tbs. butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes, adding the kale during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Add the oregano and spices and season with salt. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl. Add the quinoa and red rice, cranberries, pine nuts, lemon zest and stock and stir until well combined.
Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes, then garnish with cheese and serve. Serves 8 to 10.