Herb Pesto and Mozzarella Panini
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices country-style bread, cut on the bias 1/4 inch thick
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Preheat a panini press to 400ºF or medium-high heat.
Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Lay the slices oiled side down and spread the top of each slice with 1 Tbs. of the pesto. Arrange 3 or 4 mozzarella slices in a single layer on 4 of the bread slices, then top with a layer of tomato slices, dividing evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices, oiled side up.
Place 2 sandwiches on the preheated panini press, close the lid, and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately. Serves 4.