Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
Yellow tomatoes are a great choice for this dish because they are so visually striking against the dark pink of the watermelon. The combination of flavors and textures in this cooling salad is superb. Enjoy it as a starter or as a side dish to grilled shrimp.
- 1 mini seedless watermelon, about 4 lb.
- 1 3/4 lb. heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
Remove the rind from the watermelon and cut into 3-inch wedges, then thinly slice the wedges.
In a large shallow serving bowl, gently toss together the watermelon, tomato and cucumber slices. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the mixture, sprinkle with the cheese and mint and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Garden Cookbook, by Jeanne Kelley (Weldon Owen, 2013).