Heirloom Tomato and Basil Pizza
- 1/2 batch thin-crust pizza dough (see related
recipe at right)
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- Olive oil for brushing
- 3 1/2 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 oz. heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced, or 1/2
pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 or 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Using a rolling pin or your hands, gently roll out or stretch the dough into a 10-inch round. Lightly dust a pizza peel with flour and lay the dough on top. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil. Scatter the cheese evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange the tomatoes on top and season with salt and pepper. Carefully slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone, cover the grill and bake until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Using a pizza peel, transfer the pizza to a cutting board and cut into slices. Scatter the basil over the pizza and serve immediately. Serves 2.