Green Olive and Manchego Puffs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup beer, at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut or corn oil for deep-frying
- 10 oz. chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 cup grated manchego or Parmigiano-
- 1/3 cup Spanish brine-cured green olives, pitted
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a deep, heavy saucepan, pour in oil to a depth of 2 inches and heat to 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer.
While the oil is heating, place the chorizo in a fry pan over medium heat and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. At the same time, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Fold the egg whites, chorizo, cheese, olives and parsley into the batter. Working in batches, drop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into the hot oil; do not crowd the pan. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer puffs to paper towels to drain. Keep warm.
Arrange the puffs on a warmed platter and serve immediately.