Green Beans with Mint Vinaigrette and Pickled Onion
- 1 Tbs. salt, plus more, to taste
- 3 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut crosswise
into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the white wine vinegar, onion, sugar and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil, separating the onion slices into rings, and cook until slightly tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, mustard, mint and Champagne vinegar. Gradually whisk in 4 Tbs. of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set the vinaigrette aside.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil and add the beans. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until they are warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the onions, discarding the vinegar mixture, and add the onions to the beans. Cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes more. Add the vinaigrette and toss well to coat. Transfer to a warmed serving dish.