Green Beans with Glazed Shallots and Lemon
- 2 lb. small green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. When it begins to sizzle, add the shallots and sauté, stirring, until glazed and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring with tongs, until the beans just begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the parsley, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer the beans to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Serve 6 to 8.
Diane Rossen Worthington, Author, Seriously Simple (Chronicle Books, 2002).