Five-Spice Braised Pork
- 3 Tbs. whole Szechuan peppercorns*
- 3 Tbs. kosher salt
- 4 lb. country-style pork ribs
- 2 to 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 bottle (16 oz.) Chinese slow-cooking sauce*
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Steamed rice for serving
Rub the ribs with the peppercorn-salt mixture.
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil until almost smoking. Working in batches (do not overcrowd), brown the ribs 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a slow cooker and add the yellow onions and slow-cooking sauce. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or according to the manufacturers instructions.
Using a large spoon, skim the fat off the sauce. Transfer the ribs and sauce to a large serving bowl. Garnish with green onions and the reserved crushed peppercorns. Serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 6 to 8.
* Available at Williams-Sonoma stores.