Escarole and Endive Salad with Gorgonzola and Walnuts
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. walnut oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 heads Belgian endive, about 1 lb. total, cored
and leaves separated
- 1 head escarole, about 1/2 lb., carefully rinsed
and torn into 2-inch pieces
- 3 oz. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, walnut oil, vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper to form a vinaigrette.
In a bowl, combine the endive and escarole. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss to coat the leaves evenly. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the Gorgonzola and walnuts. Serve immediately.