To make cucumber puree for this drink, peel a cucumber and cut it in half lengthwise, then scrape out the seeds with the tip of a metal spoon. Cut the cucumber into chunks, place in a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. One standard cucumber will yield about 1 cup puree. You can make the cucumber puree up to 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2 jiggers (3 fl. oz.) sake
- 2 Tbs. simple syrup (see related recipe at left)
- 1 pony (1 fl. oz.) fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. fresh cucumber puree
- Ice cubes as needed
- Club soda for topping
- 1 small lime wedge for garnish
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Bride & Groom Entertaining, by Brigit Binns (Gold Street Press, 2007).