Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 lb. mixed fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. wide egg noodles or pappardelle
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the shallot and sauté until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they have softened and released most of their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir to incorporate. Stir in the wine and broth and cook until most of the alcohol has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the sour cream and the 2 Tbs. parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 Tbs. salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Warm briefly over low heat to blend the flavors. Add as much of the cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce, garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).