Classic Pumpkin Pie
To add a fanciful finish to this pumpkin pie, use decorative piecrust cutters to create shapes from rolled-out pie dough. Then bake the cutouts and place them on the baked and cooled pie. When preparing this pie, be sure to use a deep-dish pie dish.
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups (15 oz./470 g) pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) milk
- Prebaked and cooled deep-dish piecrust
Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C).
In a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add the pumpkin, eggs, cream and milk and whisk to combine.
Pour the filling into the prebaked piecrust and bake until the center is set, 60 to 65 minutes, covering the edges of the crust with aluminum foil or a piecrust shield after 30 minutes if they brown too quickly.
Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool completely, at least 2 hours, before serving. Serves 10.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen