Chopped Salad with Broccoli, Egg and Radicchio
Whenever you make hard-cooked eggs, cook a few extra to have on hand for adding protein and heft to salads such as this one. If the flavor of raw broccoli is too strong for you, blanch the florets for a few minutes, then put them in ice water to halt the cooking. There’s plenty of protein packed into this hearty salad. For a lower-fat version, omit the cheese and remove the yolks from the hard-cooked eggs.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbs. whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 lb. broccoli florets and tender stems, finely chopped
- 1 head radicchio, about 8 oz., cored and chopped
- 2 oz. smoked or regular mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and grated or finely chopped
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and salt.
Add the broccoli, radicchio, cheese and almonds to the bowl and stir gently to mix well and coat all the ingredients with the dressing. Add the eggs and fold in gently until just combined. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy in a Hurry, by Karen Ansel, MS, RD and Charity Ferreira (Weldon Owen, 2011).