Chilled Cucumber-Buttermilk Soup with Dilled Shrimp
A very refreshing and visually enticing soup, this is perfect for a luncheon or summertime buffet. The dilled shrimp topping gives the soup substance.
- 5 English cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, white and tender green portions, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 lb. cooked bay shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
In a food processor, combine the cucumbers, green onions and garlic and pulse to finely chop. Add the buttermilk, yogurt and lemon juice and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Put the shrimp and dill in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the dilled shrimp. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2011).