Easy Chicken Tostada Salad
Deep-fried tostadas are available in most well-stocked supermarkets. If you cannot find them, divide 4 cups good-quality corn tortilla chips among bowls, top with the chicken salad and serve.
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh corn kernels from 2 ears of cooked corn (about 2 cups)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 canned green chilies, diced
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 corn tostadas
- 2 cups cooked, shredded salt and pepper chicken (see related recipe at left)
Prepare the salsa
In a bowl, whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Transfer 3 Tbs. of the vinaigrette to a large bowl and add the beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies; mix gently. Reserve the remaining vinaigrette. Let the salsa stand for at least 10 minutes until the flavors have blended.
Assemble the salads
Add the lettuce to the reserved vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide the tostadas and lettuce among 4 plates. Spoon the salsa over the lettuce, top with the chicken and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Make Ahead, by Rick Rodgers (Oxmoor House, 2008).