If you do not have shredded chicken on hand, purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred the breast meat for use in this soup. Reserve the remaining meat for another use. Alternatively, poach or bake a whole, skinless, boneless chicken breast. Let cool, then shred the meat.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 6 cups chicken stock, homemade or purchased
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, homemade (see related recipe at left) or purchased
- Juice of 3 to 4 limes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups corn tortilla chip pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco, or 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Sauté the onion
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. When it is hot, add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
Finish the soup
Add the shredded chicken, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the lime juice to taste and season with salt. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the tortilla chips, queso fresco, avocado and cilantro and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Soup, by Georgeanne Brennan (Oxmoor House, 2006).