- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, white and light green portions
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 medium zucchini, thickly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
In a large nonreactive bowl, combine the chicken, yogurt, green onions, garlic, cilantro and olive oil and mix well. Season with the 1 tsp. salt and a few grindings of pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
Have ready 6 metal skewers or soak six 10-inch bamboo skewers in water to cover for at least 30 minutes. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill and oil the grill rack.
While the grill is warming, divide the chicken chunks, zucchini and cherry tomatoes evenly among the skewers and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the kabobs on the grill rack and cook, turning once, until the chicken is golden and opaque throughout but still juicy, about 8 minutes on each side. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Family Meals, by Maria Helm Sinskey (Oxmoor House, 2008).