Chicken Braised in White Wine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 chicken, 3 to 4 lb., cut into 8 serving pieces
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 Tbs. chicken demi-glace
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat evenly.
In a deep sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add half of the chicken and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Brown the remaining chicken and transfer to the plate.
Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the wine and demi-glace. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the demi-glace, about 5 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan and add the garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf and potatoes. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Cook until the chicken is very tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf and serve immediately.