Chicken and Spring Vegetable Soup
Simmer asparagus, peas and other highlights of the season’s harvest in a light, delicately flavored soup that’s fit for lunch or dinner. Just a tablespoon of chicken demi-glace creates a savory, flavorful stock in no time.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs. chicken demi-glace
- 12 cups (3 l) water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, each about 6 oz.
- 6 large fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 lb. (125 g) cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 cup (5 oz./155 g) fresh or thawed frozen peas
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and demi-glace and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the water, chicken, parsley and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size pieces.
Strain the stock, return it to the pot, and season with salt and pepper. Bring the stock to a simmer and add the chicken, mushrooms, asparagus and peas. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.