- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. pancetta, cubed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup dried chestnuts, soaked overnight in
lightly salted water and drained, or substitute
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seed, lightly crushed
- Leaves from 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 8 cups chicken stock or water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup short-grain white rice
- 2 oz. aged pecorino cheese, grated
Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chestnuts almost begin to fall apart, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, seasoning with salt and pepper after 1 hour.
Stir in the rice and continue to simmer until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle into warmed individual bowls and serve. Pass the pecorino cheese at the table.