Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry
Even serious carnivores will find this hearty vegan curry delicious, especially when it is spooned over steamed rice and served with a dollop of tamarind chutney.
- 3 cans (15 oz./470 g each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 butternut squash, 3 to 3 1⁄2 lb. (1.5 to 1.75 g), peeled, seeded and cut into 1⁄2-inch (12-mm) cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 4 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) water
- 1⁄4 cup (1⁄3 oz./10 g) chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Chopped green onion for garnish
In a slow cooker, combine the chickpeas, squash, onion, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric, pepper flakes, coconut milk, water, cilantro and 1 tsp. salt. Stir to mix well. Cover and cook on low according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the squash is very tender, about 4 hours.
Stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt if needed. Ladle into shallow bowls, garnish with cilantro and green onion, and serve immediately. Serves 8.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Quick Slow Cooking, by Kim Laidlaw (Weldon Owen, 2014)