Butternut Squash & Apple Soup with Chestnuts
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and
- 1 jar (32 oz.) butternut squash puree
- 2 1⁄2 to 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped until just
- 12 fresh chestnuts, roasted, peeled and
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a clean stockpot. Stir in the cream and add more stock to reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat the soup gently to serving temperature.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish each serving with a swirl of whipped cream and sprinkle with chestnuts. Serve immediately. Serves 6.