Bulgur Salad with Lemon, Peas & Mint
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 lb. sugar snap peas, sliced on the diagonal (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. capers, chopped
- 2 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Transfer the bulgur to a bowl. Add the 2 tsp. olive oil and stir gently to coat and fluff the grains. Let cool to room temperature. Add the snap peas, minced mint, lemon juice, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, the remaining 1/2 tsp salt, the pepper and the 1 Tbs. olive oil. Stir well to blend.
Transfer the bulgur salad to a serving bowl and garnish with mint sprigs. Serve at room temperature. Serves. 4.
Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, Starters, by Georgeanne Brennan (Simon & Schuster, 2006)