Braised Soy-Ginger Chicken & Bok Choy
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 Tbs. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lb. skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or breast
- 1/2 lb. bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
- Steamed rice for serving
Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Bring the braising liquid to a boil over medium heat, add the bok choy and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the bok choy to the platter, arranging it around the chicken.
Bring the braising liquid to a boil over high heat and boil until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in the honey and sesame oil. Pour over the chicken and bok choy and serve with steamed rice. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Asian, by Farina Wong Kingsley (Oxmoor House, 2007).