Black Bean Salad
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. cumin powder
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Hot-pepper sauce, to taste
- Olive oil for grilling
- 2 small yellow onions, quartered
- 2 yellow bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 Anaheim chilies, halved and seeded
- 2 jalapeño chilies, halved and seeded
- 2 cans (each 15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
Prepare a grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate or a vegetable-grilling basket. Brush the yellow onions, bell peppers and chilies with oil.
Arrange the yellow onions, bell peppers and chilies on the grill or in the vegetable-grilling basket over the hottest part of the fire. Grill, turning occasionally, until well charred on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
Transfer the grilled vegetables to a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Pick over the vegetables, removing most of the burned skin and leaving some charred bits. Dice the vegetables to a uniform size and place in a large salad bowl.
Add the black beans, cilantro, red onion and vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma On the Grill, by Willie Cooper (Oxmoor House, 2009).