Beet, Cabbage & Mushroom Borscht
- 8 to 10 large beets
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 heads cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lemon, pricked with a fork in several places
- 10 cups beef or vegetable stock or canned broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Cut the greens from the beets, leaving about 2 inches of stems attached. Reserve the greens for another use. Wash the beets well, place them in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 30 to 50 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. Drain. Cover the beets with lukewarm water. When cool, slip off the skins and dice the beets. Set aside.
In a stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the cabbage, beets, mushrooms, lemon and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the soup is red and the flavors are blended, about 30 minutes.
Remove the lemon and discard. Season with salt and pepper; taste and adjust the seasonings with sugar and lemon juice, if needed. Sprinkle with chopped dill before serving. Ladle into warmed soup bowls. Serves 12.