Beef Sukiyaki with Noodles
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup sake
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. corn or peanut oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
and caps thinly sliced
- 1/2 large head napa cabbage, shredded
- 6 oz. cellophane noodles, soaked in hot water to
cover for 15 minutes and drained
- 1 lb. beef sirloin, very thinly sliced across the
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Heat a wok or large fry pan over high heat until very hot and add the oil. Add the yellow onion and stir-fry just until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the cabbage and stir-fry just until the cabbage wilts and the mushrooms have softened, about 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium, pour the braising liquid over the vegetables and bring to a low simmer. Stir in the noodles and beef and simmer for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the green onions and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Asian, by Farina Wong Kingsley (Oxmoor House, 2007).