Beef Stir-Fry with Black Bean Sauce
- 3 Tbs. peanut oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup black bean sauce
- 2 cups thinly sliced grilled tri-tip, cut into strips
(see related recipe at left)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Steamed rice for serving (optional)
In a wok or large, deep fry pan over high heat, warm the oil. Add the bell pepper, snow peas, onion, mushrooms and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until the vegetables are crisp-tender and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Finish the dish
Stir in the black bean sauce and 2 Tbs. water, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the beef and simmer until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve over steamed rice. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Simple Suppers, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2007).