Baked Chicken Parmesan
For an easy side dish, cook egg noodles or another pasta shape until al dente (tender but firm to the bite), according to the package instructions. Toss the pasta with a little butter and chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/2 lb. total
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, leaves stripped from stems and torn into large pieces
- 2 cups marinara sauce, homemade or purchased, warmed
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, each 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Brown the chicken
Preheat an oven to 400ºF.
Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 7 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
Bake the chicken
Add the kale to the fry pan and sauté over medium-high heat until wilted, about 1 minute. Arrange the chicken and kale in a baking dish and pour the marinara sauce over the chicken. Place 2 mozzarella slices on each chicken breast. Sprinkle evenly with the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake until the cheese is golden and the chicken is opaque throughout, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).