Asparagus with Poached Eggs & Hollandaise Sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbs. chopped fines herbes (fresh chives,
tarragon, parsley and chervil)
- 8 halved baguette slices, each 3 inches long,
cut diagonally and toasted
- 8 poached eggs (see related recipe at right)
- 1 1⁄2 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed,
stems peeled, spears steamed
Using a handheld whisk, whisk the mixture while slowly pouring in the melted butter in a thin stream until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the fines herbes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and white pepper. Keep the hollandaise sauce warm until ready to serve.
Place 2 baguette toasts on each of 4 plates. Top each toast with 1 poached egg and place the asparagus alongside. Spoon the hollandaise sauce on top. Serve immediately. Serves 4.