Arugula, Squash & Salami Salad
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3/4 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled and cut into cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. arugula
- 1/4 lb. salami, cut into thin strips
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts, toasted
In a blender, combine the garlic, parsley, mint, capers, mustard, 1 tsp. of the vinegar and the 1/4 cup olive oil. Process until smooth.
Roast the squash
Preheat an oven to 500°F.
On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and spread in an even layer. Roast, shaking the pan vigorously every 5 minutes, until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Add the salsa verde and toss gently to coat evenly.
Assemble the salad
In a large bowl, combine the arugula, salami, the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper. Toss to combine, then add the remaining 2 tsp. vinegar and toss again. Arrange the salad on plates and top with the squash. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Salad, by Brigit L. Binns (Oxmoor House, 2007).