- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed and chorizo crumbled
- 1 1/2 bags (each 14 oz.) tortilla chips
- 3/4 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 lb. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeño slices
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso añejo cheese
- Salsa for serving
- Sour cream for serving
Preheat the center burners of a gas grill on low and the outer burners on medium-high for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, assemble the nachos: Place a single layer of tortilla chips on the bottom of a grill tray. Sprinkle one-fourth of the cheddar cheese and then one-fourth of the Monterey jack cheese on top. Place several spoonfuls of refried beans on the cheese. Sprinkle one-fourth of the chorizo and then one-fourth of the jalapeño slices on top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to create 3 more layers, making each layer slightly narrower than the previous one so the nachos resemble a pyramid-shaped mound.
Place the tray over the center burners on the grill, close the lid and cook for about 7 minutes. Turn off the center burners, keeping the outer burners on medium-high, and continue cooking, covered, until the top layers of cheese are bubbly and the bottom layers are evenly melted, about 3 minutes more.
Remove the tray from the grill and top the nachos with the tomatoes, cilantro and queso añejo cheese. Serve immediately with guacamole, salsa and sour cream on the side. Serves 10 to 12.