Baked Tomatoes and Zucchini
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 lb. (375 g) plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, about 3/4 lb. (375 g) total weight, sliced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh marjoram
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) chicken broth or water
Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat a shallow 2-qt. (2-l) baking dish with olive oil.
In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the onion and sauté slowly until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer the onion slices to the baking dish, spreading them evenly over the bottom. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the tomato and zucchini slices over the onion in alternate rows. Sprinkle with the basil and marjoram and season with salt and pepper. Pour the broth evenly over the top.
Cover and bake until the vegetables are bubbling and tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2012)