Simple Carrot Soup
This easy carrot soup makes a comforting supper on a busy weeknight. To complete the meal, serve our Apple and Cheddar Panini with Onion Jam alongside.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) rounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, plus leaves for garnish
- 6 cups (48 fl. oz./1.5 l) vegetable or chicken stock, plus more as
- Crème fraîche for serving
In a stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and chopped thyme and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the 6 cups stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add more stock if needed to reach the desired consistency. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Top with crème fraîche and thyme leaves and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.