Yukon Gold Potato Pancakes with Chives, Smoked Salmon and Sour Cream
- 1 3/4 lb. Yukon Gold or other yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs. matzo meal
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. snipped fresh chives, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, or as needed
- 2 oz. sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Salmon caviar (optional)
Place the grated potatoes in a bowl and add the onion, egg, matzo meal, salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Fold in the 2 Tbs. chives.
In a heavy fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the 1/2 cup shortening until the surface ripples. Working in batches and being careful not to crowd the pan, measure out 1 level Tbs. batter for each pancake and drop it into the hot oil. Fry until crisp and golden on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn and fry the other side until golden, about 4 minutes more. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep warm until all the batter has been used. Add more shortening to the pan if needed.
When all the pancakes have been cooked, arrange on a warmed platter. Top each with a square of smoked salmon, and then top the salmon with 1/2 tsp. sour cream. Sprinkle each with a few pieces of the remaining snipped chives and a small spoonful of caviar, if using. Serve warm.