Warm Lentils with Vinaigrette
These lentils are delicious served warm with duck confit or roasted pork tenderloin (see related recipes at left).
- 1 cup Puy lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 or 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar, or to taste
Drain the lentils, reserving 2 Tbs. of the cooking liquid; discard the remaining liquid. Place the lentils and the reserved cooking liquid in a serving bowl. Add the remaining shallots and garlic and the parsley to the hot lentils and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Foods of the World Series, Paris, by Marlena Spieler (Oxmoor House, 2004).