Tortilla Soup with Pork
- 2 Tbs. corn oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped chipotle chilies in adobo
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 1/2 cups shredded roast pork (see related
recipe at left)
- 4 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 small avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and
- 1 cup broken tortilla chips
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chili, broth and tomatoes, then stir in the pork. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
Finish the soup
Stir 2 Tbs. of the cilantro into the soup. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbs. cilantro and the cheese, avocado and tortilla chips. Accompany with the lime wedges. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Simple Suppers, by Melanie Barnard (Oxmoor House, 2007).