Summer Squash and Leek Puree
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only,
cleaned and finely chopped
- 6 yellow crookneck squash, about 1 1/2 lb.
total, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh chives, plus more
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Add the stock and cook, partially covered, until the squash is very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using an immersion blender or a standing blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the basil, the 2 Tbs. chives, the milk and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Gently reheat the soup over medium-low heat.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with chives. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.