Strata with Asparagus, Sausage and Fontina
- 10 to 12 slices French bread, cut into 1-inch
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 oz. breakfast sausage
- 16 eggs
- 6 cups milk
- 1 bunch green onions, light green portion
only, finely chopped
- 4 roasted red bell peppers, peeled, seeded and
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed, spears
cut into 1-inch pieces and cooked until tender
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups grated fontina cheese
Place the bread cubes in a large bowl.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes total. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate. Let cool, then cut into thin slices and transfer to the bowl with the bread.
In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage mixture. Add the green onions, bell peppers, asparagus, salt, pepper and 3 cups of the cheese and stir until well blended. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
Sprinkle the top of the strata with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake until the strata is golden brown and cooked through, about 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.