Spanish Chicken Stew
- 1 chicken, 3 to 4 lb., cut into 8 serving pieces, trimmed of excess skin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp. smoked hot paprika
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, plus more for garnish
Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat from the pan. Add the bell peppers and onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and paprika.
Stovetop method: Transfer the chicken to a Dutch oven and add the bell pepper mixture. Set over medium-low heat, cover and cook until the chicken is tender and opaque throughout, about 40 minutes. Uncover and add the chickpeas, olives and the 1/2 cup almonds. Cover and cook until the chickpeas are warmed through, about 10 minutes more.
Slow-cooker method: Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker and add the bell pepper mixture. Cover and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until the chicken is tender and opaque throughout, 3 hours on high or 5 1/2 hours on low. Uncover and add the chickpeas, olives and the 1/2 cup almonds. Cover and cook until the chickpeas are warmed through, about 30 minutes more.
Arrange the chicken on a warmed platter or individual plates. Garnish with sliced almonds and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking, by Melanie Barnard, Charles Pierce & Denis Kelly (Oxmoor House, 2008).