Portuguese Clam and Sausage Stew
Use fresh Mexican (not dried Spanish) chorizo, or substitute hot Italian sausage. While Asian fish sauce may seem out of place here, it's a trick to add an indescribable element of flavor.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. fresh pork chorizo
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. Asian fish sauce (optional)
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and
- 24 small hard-shell clams, scrubbed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Add the clams and shake the pan to coat the clams with the sauce; increase the heat to medium. Cover the pan and cook until the clams open, about 10 minutes (discard any that do not open). Stir in the parsley and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Braises & Stews, by Tori Ritchie (Chronicle Books, 2007).