Use the best ingredients you can find for this simple summer starter, including vine-ripened tomatoes and garden-fresh herbs.
- 6 slices white artisanal bread, each 1/2 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Toast or grill the bread slices. Rub the toasts on one side with the halved garlic clove.
In a bowl, toss together the tomatoes and shallot. Top the garlic-rubbed side of the toasts with the tomatoes and sprinkle with the basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).