Italian Hero Sandwich
This is the sandwich to make when you want an attention grabber! At a good Italian delicatessen, you will be able to find the peppers and sliced meats as well as a crusty loaf that will hold all the fixings.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf Italian bread with sesame seeds, about
24 inches long, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped cherry peppers
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. thinly sliced salami
- 5 oz. thinly sliced cappicola
- 5 oz. thinly sliced salami cotto
- 5 oz. thinly sliced mortadella
- 5 oz. thinly sliced provolone cheese
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
On a work surface, lay out 3 long pieces of plastic wrap, placing them side by side and slightly overlapping. Place the bottom half of the loaf over the wrap. Spread the pepperoncini and cherry peppers over the bread. Scatter evenly with the lettuce and layer with the tomatoes. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the dressing. Layer the meats, one at a time, over the tomatoes, making sure to distribute them evenly. Top with a layer of provolone cheese.
Drizzle the remaining dressing over the cut side of the top of the loaf. Place on the layered sandwich and enclose in the plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours to develop the flavors.
To serve, unwrap the sandwich and slice into large pieces 3 to 4 inches wide. Serves 6 to 8.