Herbed Chicken with Summer Vegetables
- 4 Tbs. (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh herbs (flat-leaf parsley,
chervil and chives)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. baby zucchini, halved
- 1 lb. baby pattypan or crookneck squash, halved
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 Tbs. chicken demi-glace
Arrange the chicken in the pan and cook until golden brown underneath, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.
Add the garlic to the pan and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add the zucchini, squash, tomatoes, water and demi-glace and bring to a boil.
Return the chicken to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until the chicken shows no sign of pink when cut into near the center, about 15 minutes more. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the remaining herbs. Serve immediately.