Dates Stuffed with Rose-Almond Paste
- 20 large dates, such as Medjools or Black Sphinx
- 1 roll (7 oz.) almond paste
- 1 tsp. rose water
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring
- 20 candied organic rose petals for garnish
- Finely chopped pistachios for garnish
In a food processor, pulse the almond paste with the rose water and food coloring, adding the coloring 1 drop at a time until the paste is a delicate shade of pink.
Transfer the almond paste to a work surface and roll into a 10-inch log. Cut into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an oval shape and slip into a date; slice in half so that the ingredients are visible.
To serve, place each stuffed date on a candied rose petal and sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Makes 20.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma TASTE Magazine, "Sweet Gems," by Deborah Madison (Holiday 2001).