Cucumber Rounds with Smoked Salmon and Lime Aioli
Aioli is a garlic-flavored mayonnaise that originated in Provence, in the South of France. When making the aioli, be sure to add the olive oil slowly while the food processor is running so the mixture will emulsify.
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large seedless cucumber, peeled
- 3 or 4 radishes
- 1/2 lb. smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pint fresh sprouts for garnish
Using a mandoline or vegetable slicer, slice the cucumber crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick to make about 30 pieces. Slice the radishes into paper-thin slices to make about 30 pieces.
To assemble, lay the cucumber slices out on a clean serving tray or platter, place a small amount of aioli on each slice and decoratively arrange a piece of smoked salmon over the aioli. Garnish with a piece of shaved radish and a few sprouts. Cover loosely and refrigerate until ready to serve.