Crab and Avocado Soup
If the avocados that you have purchased are too firm, put them in a paper bag with an apple or a banana. The ethylene gas naturally emitted by either fruit will hasten ripening.
- 3 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime, plus more, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. fresh-cooked lump crabmeat, picked over to remove any shell fragments
- 2 fresh chives, snipped
Make the soup
In a food processor or blender, combine the avocados, chilies, coconut milk, lime juice and water and process to a smooth puree. Season with salt, white pepper and additional lime juice.
Garnish the soup
Serve immediately or, for a chilled soup, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the crabmeat. Sprinkle with the chives and serve. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Soup, by Georgeanne Brennan (Oxmoor House, 2006).