Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Soup
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. Marsala wine
- 1 3/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, brushed clean and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 country-style loaf, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 oz. Gruyère cheese, shredded
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Add 1 Tbs. of the parsley, the lemon juice and the 1 Tbs. Marsala and stir to combine.
Preheat a broiler.
Place 6 ovenproof soup bowls on a baking sheet and ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each bowl. Top each with 4 or 5 bread cubes and sprinkle with about 1/4 cup cheese. Broil until the bread is lightly toasted and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 tsp. parsley and serve immediately. Serves 6.