Beef Stew with Chestnuts
- 3 lb. boneless stewing beef, cut into 1-inch
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 8 oz. new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup steamed chestnuts
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm half the olive oil until just smoking. Add half the beef and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining oil and beef. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, chestnuts, tomato paste and stock to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Off the heat, pour the wine into the sauté pan and set over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom. Add the wine to the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 6 hours according to the manufacturers instructions. Ladle the stew into bowls and serve immediately.